Monday, December 8, 2008

Larry Hopkins - Counseling Pastor


Blog, that seems to be an odd name for something to do with writing. But there are a lot of words used today that didn’t have the same meaning they did years ago, and I’m talking years ago. A megabyte back in my day was a big chunk of skin taken out of another kids arm with Johnnie or Susie’s teeth. A microchip was a small area of paint knocked out of your new car door. A dell was a small secluded, wooded valley. So I grabbed my trusty Webster’s New Compact Dictionary to find the latest definition of blog and guess what, it ain’t in there... but ain’t is! Sense I can’t seem to find a definition for blog, myself and one other anonymous staff person came up with our own.

Blog (blog) n. (1.) to self promote one’s own thoughts or ideas (2.) to ramble on about something no one else is interested in (3.) to spend time on a computer that could be more productive spent in personal relationships.

I am sorry if I have offended anyone but after all look at what I am doing right now.
My ministry here at Hope is to be a Godly counsel for those who seek it. Although my creditability as such may be gone after this “Blog”. I know that technical progress is needed and I am not saying we should stop progress. I do think we lose some of the personal relationships that brought an extra ordinary unity among the early church believers.

Act 2:41-47 in the Message says, “That day three thousand took Peter at his word, were baptized and were signed up. They committed themselves to the teaching of the apostles, the life of fellowship together, the common meal, and the praying together. Everyone around was in awe-all those wonders and signs done through the apostles! All the believers lived in a wonderful harmony (unity) holding everything in common. They sold whatever they owned and pooled their resources so that each person’s needs were met. They followed a daily discipline of worship in the Temple followed by meals at home, every meal a celebration, exuberant and joyful, as they praised God. People in general liked what they saw. Every day their numbers grew as God added those who were saved”.

This sounds like more fun to me than blogging - but that’s just me.
There were four areas the early church devoted themselves to that caused them to grow spiritually and in numbers.

#1.) The teaching of the Apostles: They were in unity relationally by having the same mind set, speaking the same thing and making the same judgments based on God’s word.

#2.) A Life of Fellowship: We were created for fellowship with God and man. Really caring for one another takes personal relationship.

#3.) Having a Common Meal:
Communion is one way we have fellowship with the Lord. Inviting others for a meal is a good way to have fellowship.

#4.) Praying Together: Praying together can build strong relationships and that unity produces great power spiritually. So I guess what my rambling, self promoting, uninteresting thoughts are saying. Don’t stop blogging, but don’t stop bonding either.

Merry Christmas!
Pastor Larry Hopkins
Counseling Pastor

Hope Fellowship

1 comment:

Senter Girl said...

Hi Pastor Larry, I completely thought that way at first, but then realized my reason for blogging was much different than most. I plan on printing this out and keeping it for my kids. Ways to help them along hopefully, seeing how mom and dad did life (good and bad) when I'm gone (and in case, God forbid, sooner than I would like-there is one woman's that was an incredible legacy of testiment to her savior as she battled thru unexpected cancer and lost...her young children now have pages of her thoughts forever with them). It's kind of like journaling (which I kept putting off because I write too slow) and blogging is typing and much faster. Also, I have gotten closer to people by reading theirs when I can't see them daily or even yearly. (Exleys). Same goes with face book, yeah, it can be a black hole, but I am now planning a get together soon at my place because "running" into old friends on FB that slipped away over the years. So...it's not that bad really if you see it as a tool, right? ;) Thanks for giving it a fair shake, Pastor Larry!